Trying to stay cool this summer but running out of ideas? Then it’s time to make your own popsicles!
You don’t need much equipment and the best part is that you can choose your flavors! Freezing fruit juice or smoothies is an easy way to create a tasty summertime treat to beat the heat.
You can use a popsicle mold (like this one) to conveniently make your popsicles or you can use cups, spoons, and other items from around the kitchen, like we did.
Equipment you’ll need:
Small cups (disposable cups work great), handles (popsicle sticks, coffee stirrers, or spoons), and foil (optional). If you want to use your ice-cube tray as a mold to make popsicles, then we recommend using toothpicks as handles.
Ingredients you’ll need:
Half the fun is picking your flavors. If you can’t decide which to choose, then mix and match! If you’re using fruit juice, experts suggest that you boil it for a short while to boil off some of the water in it prior to freezing. This will reduce the amount of solid ice that will form when the water in your juice freezes and create a more consistent popsicle. If you’re making juice from concentrate, then add only about half the amount of water you normally use.
- Boil your fruit juice for 5 minutes (if you’re using a smoothie or juice from concentrate move on to step 2). Allow your juice to cool.
- Pour your juice/smoothie into the cups and place them into the freezer.
- Allow the popsicles to partially freeze (15 – 20 minutes), then insert your handles.*
- Continue to allow the popsicles to freeze. After an hour or two they should be done and ready to enjoy.
- Run the cups under warm water to free the popsicles for easier removal.
- Eat your tasty treats!
*Another way to keep your popsicle handles upright during freezing is to place a piece of foil of the top of the cup and punch your handle through the top. The foil surrounding it should keep it in place while it freezes.
So, next time you need to cool off and feel like something sweet, try out this recipe for homemade popsicles. Comment below and share with us your flavor ideas!