Chances are if you’re reading this right now, you’re not terribly busy. Perhaps you’re just home from a long day at work; perhaps you’re just home; or perhaps you’re at work! Whatever it is that you’re doing (or not doing!) you have found the time to come along and visit us here at Mango. Thank you!
But I’m not just here to say thank you for your readership, because what kind of thanks would that be? No, for being such great customers and readers, I’d like to share a few things that you can do, aside from check up on Mango, whenever, wherever, you are bored!
More often than not, when you look at friends’ posts on things like Facebook, they read a little something like this: “What’s going on today?” or “What are you guys doing?” Translation: “I’m bored!” And sometimes getting online and stating the obvious just isn’t very satisfying.
So we’ve come up with a list of some great options for fun, free things to keep you entertained, keep you busy, and in many cases, keep your body, mind, and spirit fit!
1) Play a game. If you have some time to kill on the computer, there are plenty of great, free game websites. Check out Bored.com for all kinds of games, trivia, and fun things to do when you’re bored.
2) Take a quiz. Online quizzes are a fun way to kill time and learn a little something about yourself! At Quibblo.com you can test your smarts, personality, or even figure out which Harry Potter character you are! You can even make your own quizzes to share with family and friends.
3) Change your Mood. Listen to these binaural beats, designed to alter your mood however you’d like! These tunes are created to make you feel happy, relaxed, creative, and even help you quit smoking!
4) Spy on Penguins. I know it sounds a little weird, but with this live feed, you can check up on your favorite, fluffy, Antarctic friends at anytime.
5) Change your look. With DailyMakeover.com, you can upload a photo of yourself and “try on” tons of different celebrity hairstyles.
6) Improve your vocabulary and help end world hunger! Seriously! With FreeRice.com, for every vocabulary word you get right, 10 grains of rice are donated to help end world hunger.
3) Read a book. There are worlds and worlds of books to get lost in when you’re bored. So head over to the local library and pick one up! All you need to become a library member is proof of residence, and then you’ll have access to more books than you can imagine, all for free. And, I know this is in the “reality” section, but if you simply can’t get to a library or bookstore, you can find books online.
4) Do that thing you’ve been putting off. You’re bored; you’re not doing anything else, so why not get that one thing out of the way, whatever it is? Clean out the closet, vacuum the house, dust the ceiling fan! Whatever you’ve been putting off, now is the time to get it done!
6) Just breathe. For a lot of us, being bored or not having something to do fills us with anxiety; but it doesn’t have to. With some simple breathing exercises and easy meditation, you can enjoy this moment, no matter what you’re doing. Breath meditation not only calms the mind, but also relaxes the body, improving your circulation, immune system, energy, and even digestion.
What do you do when there’s nothing to do? Share your tips to cure boredom below!